Last week, the Irish High Court released an important decision in the EMI Records & Ors -v- Eircom Ltd ,  IEHC 108 case. The court held that a settlement agreement between an Irish ISP, Eircom, and owners of copyright protected sound recordings and videos to implement a voluntary graduated response system was compatible with Irish data protection legislation. The ruling by Justice Charleton delivered on 16th April, 2010, is noteworthy not only because it found that collecting and using IP addresses for the purposes of sending out graduated response notices to subscribers does not violate data protection legislation. It is also noteworthy because the court recognized that the right to copyright is a human right protected by the Constitution of Ireland, 1937; and that the graduated response protocol was fully justified in light of the importance of copyright and the adverse effects of unauthorized online file sharing.
Retirement of Mario Bouchard http://wp.me/p3flp9-2NA
Can a Website Disclaimer Prevent Declaratory Judgment Actions in IP Cases? Maybe…or Maybe Not http://buff.ly/126bL5l
The Internet Society Wants to Punch Your Nose and Commoditize You Without Your Permission http://buff.ly/17fQH5t
ASSOCIATION FOR MOLECULAR PATHOLOGY v MYRIAD GENETICS – a comparison with EU and Australian law http://buff.ly/18QUYg3
State photo-ID databases become troves for police in US http://buff.ly/17SqYiQ
More IP books for review http://buff.ly/18QSyOC
U.K. hacked diplomats’ phones, emails, Guardian reports http://buff.ly/11sxS7g
New DRM Changes Text of eBooks to Catch Pirates http://bit.ly/ZX8SYc
- Recent Tweets
- COMPUTER AND INTERNET LAW UPDATES FOR 2013-06-19 shar.es/x6ma8 3 hours ago
- Representations, warranties and indemnities in IT transactions: Yesterday, Helen Aston and I spoke at IT.Can’s… bit.ly/16JEu5m 2 hours ago
- Does Australia’s Resale Royalty Scheme bring more recognition and income to struggling artists? buff.ly/12UWRq1 1 hour ago
- The Law of Internet Intermediaries: Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss buff.ly/14Jx2XT 55 mins ago
- You Have No Control Over Security on the Feudal Internet – Bruce Schneier – Harvard Business Review buff.ly/11v038j 50 mins ago
- This site is published by Barry Sookman personally. It is not affiliated with McCarthy Tétrault or any of its clients. Full bio here.