For years, the Computer & Communications Industry Association (CCIA ), an organization that represents Google, Yahoo and other companies in the computer, Internet, information technology, and telecommunications industries, have advocated for broad copyright exceptions arguing that they substantially contribute to economic growth. In a series of studies culminating in a 2011 paper published by the CCIA titled Fair Use in the U.S. Economy, the claim was made that a group of identifiable industries called the “fair use industries” accounted, in 2008 and 2009, for an average of $4.6 billion in revenues in the U.S. In a similar paper published by the CCIA in 2010 titled Economic contribution of EU industries relying on exceptions and limitations to copyright, the claim was made that the value added generated by industries in the EU relying on exceptions and limitations to copyright amounted to $1.1 trillion or 9.3% of GDP in 2007.
- Computer and Internet Law Weekly Updates for 2013-11-30: Google Scholar link to AUTHORS GUILD, INC. v. GOOGLE … http://t.co/fYtvYiwpf8 ->
- Three key agenda items for Canada's next privacy commissioner http://t.co/Wp18Sxedqt ->
- Hebrew U to Pay $300K for Copyright Infringement http://t.co/A2tII4UMRx ->
- U.S. Army pays out $50m in software piracy suit http://t.co/66tuSjiycw ->
- Australia Copyright review put in Attorney-General's hands http://t.co/GHWXRfdsMQ ->
- A copyright council must be a public body, funded by public money – Irish Times http://t.co/LHbefiYggF ->
- Nathan Myhrvold on why Silicon Valley thinks the patent system is broken http://t.co/hCMG3THQLT ->
- Barry`s tweats
It’s a Wonderful (Copyright) Life http://t.co/JpIRIQJgCi
Creative Commons releases licence for intergovernmental organisations http://t.co/5lbfg9xIM6
Keyword Advertising Lawsuits Against Search Engines Mostly Tossed–Parts[.]com v. Google and Yahoo http://t.co/C9bLEc3vzA
Cape Town Conference Highlights Innovation, IP And Public Interest http://t.co/appkzaK7fU
Google can be made to sweat. Just ask Oracle. http://t.co/E47q1J9QXq
- This site is published by Barry Sookman personally. It is not affiliated with McCarthy Tétrault or any of its clients. Full bio here.