For years, the Computer & Communications Industry Association (CCIA ), an organization that represents Google, Yahoo and other companies in the computer, Internet, information technology, and telecommunications industries, have advocated for broad copyright exceptions arguing that they substantially contribute to economic growth. In a series of studies culminating in a 2011 paper published by the CCIA titled Fair Use in the U.S. Economy, the claim was made that a group of identifiable industries called the “fair use industries” accounted, in 2008 and 2009, for an average of $4.6 billion in revenues in the U.S. In a similar paper published by the CCIA in 2010 titled Economic contribution of EU industries relying on exceptions and limitations to copyright, the claim was made that the value added generated by industries in the EU relying on exceptions and limitations to copyright amounted to $1.1 trillion or 9.3% of GDP in 2007.
- Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation Coming Into Force in 2014: Are You Ready? http://t.co/Wpy8BCWha7 ->
- Canada’s electronic spy agency says tracking allies is necessary http://t.co/sqb6VjgBl4 ->
- Don’t spam your uncle | Financial Post http://t.co/9o2SlR9ahV ->
- Canada Announces Go-Live Date for CASL Anti-Spam Law http://t.co/6jRcCad3VR ->
- Concerns about data sovereignty, data flow and security are holding back cloud adoption in Asia, says industry body http://t.co/NqzzNHSHsG ->
- Copyright and what's right http://t.co/DTOY3hoVHf ->
- US Supr Ct rules forum-selection clause should be “given controlling weight in all but the most exceptional cases.” http://t.co/r87uMKgjiq ->
- Barry`s tweats
Computer and Internet Law Updates for 2013-12-11: Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation Coming Into Force in 2014: Ar... http://t.co/j0ZSpmceCO
EU court dismisses complaints about sanctioning of Microsoft's takeover of Skype http://t.co/JVyl9euoTd
Beastie Boys Continue Copyright Battle With Toy Company http://t.co/LFmPV8c2DA
The Privacy Threats in Bill C-13, Part Two: The Low Threshold for Metadata http://t.co/0fSDV4a9P0
The Universities of Toronto and Western Ontario Refuse to Pay for Copies | The Writers' Union of Canada http://t.co/JgTVxVdg6o
- This site is published by Barry Sookman personally. It is not affiliated with McCarthy Tétrault or any of its clients. Full bio here.