For years, the Computer & Communications Industry Association (CCIA ), an organization that represents Google, Yahoo and other companies in the computer, Internet, information technology, and telecommunications industries, have advocated for broad copyright exceptions arguing that they substantially contribute to economic growth. In a series of studies culminating in a 2011 paper published by the CCIA titled Fair Use in the U.S. Economy, the claim was made that a group of identifiable industries called the “fair use industries” accounted, in 2008 and 2009, for an average of $4.6 billion in revenues in the U.S. In a similar paper published by the CCIA in 2010 titled Economic contribution of EU industries relying on exceptions and limitations to copyright, the claim was made that the value added generated by industries in the EU relying on exceptions and limitations to copyright amounted to $1.1 trillion or 9.3% of GDP in 2007.
Retirement of Mario Bouchard http://wp.me/p3flp9-2NA
Can a Website Disclaimer Prevent Declaratory Judgment Actions in IP Cases? Maybe…or Maybe Not http://buff.ly/126bL5l
The Internet Society Wants to Punch Your Nose and Commoditize You Without Your Permission http://buff.ly/17fQH5t
ASSOCIATION FOR MOLECULAR PATHOLOGY v MYRIAD GENETICS – a comparison with EU and Australian law http://buff.ly/18QUYg3
State photo-ID databases become troves for police in US http://buff.ly/17SqYiQ
More IP books for review http://buff.ly/18QSyOC
U.K. hacked diplomats’ phones, emails, Guardian reports http://buff.ly/11sxS7g
New DRM Changes Text of eBooks to Catch Pirates http://bit.ly/ZX8SYc
- Recent Tweets
- Exasperated about CASL “What are we expected to do, go door-to-door? Send snail mail?” bit.ly/1211lZ5 5 mins ago
- New CASL acronym “Clowns in Ottawa Have Gotten It Wrong Once More” bit.ly/1211lZ5 11 mins ago
- Social Media and the Law: Presentation to Joint Irish Committee on Transport and Communications bit.ly/1210SWH 15 mins ago
- Copyright and Technology London 2013 Conference: October 17 bit.ly/1210mYQ 21 mins ago
- Copyright and Accessibility bit.ly/1210gAm 22 mins ago
- This site is published by Barry Sookman personally. It is not affiliated with McCarthy Tétrault or any of its clients. Full bio here.